We have assembled a list of Frequently Asked Questions.  If you need additional questions answered please feel free to contact us.

Will my goods be the only shipment of the truck?

Locally yes. However for long distance moves, because the furnishings of the average household will not fill a van, it is often necessary for two or more shipments to be loaded on the same van. Each shipment is carefully sectioned off from the others. With the help of Ewing’s computer-assisted dispatching system, pickup and delivery dates are scheduled according to the origins and destinations of individual shipments on the van, as well as shipment weight.

How long does it take to move?

This depends on many factors, such as the time of year, weather conditions, size of your shipment, time required to load and unload, and distance your shipment is traveling.

How Much does a typical move cost?

On interstate shipments, you must pay the total charges as determined by the actual weight of your shipment, the distance it travels, and the services that you authorize or which become necessary to handle your shipment. Charges for local shipments are generally calculated on an hourly basis. There may be a minimum number of hours required.

What is the Cost of a Pre-move Survey?

There is no charge for the estimate.

Do I need an estimate?

A move coordinator may schedule a pre-move survey or conduct a telephone survey for your household goods to be transported. Your move coordinator will compute the approximate cost and give you a written Estimate/Order for Service.

Am I guaranteed the dates I request?

If it is a local move, the answer is generally yes. If it’s a long distance move, the more lead time you can give, the more likely they will be able to meet your preferred delivery schedule. Moving companies require alternate pickup and delivery dates. You should discuss your specific pickup and delivery requirements with your Ewing/Stevens customer service agent, who can advise you regarding the types and costs of services available.

When should I call a moving company?

The earlier, the better. Although the actual van assignment may not be made until a few days before your move, it’s wise to give your moving company from four to six week’s notice, if possible.

Can my possessions be stored temporarily?

If you are unable to take immediate possession of your new residence, your belongings can be stored in a local Ewing/Stevens agent’s warehouse. Ewing/Stevens agents throughout the world provide safe storage facilities for holding your goods until you’re ready for them.

Will my appliances need special attention?

Most refrigerators, washers, dryers, and other electrical or mechanical appliances require special servicing to ensure safe transportation. Any moving parts such as motors on major appliances, washer drums, and icemakers should be securely fastened for shipment. Gas appliances need to be serviced and disconnected prior to your move. It is the owner’s responsibility to see that appliances are serviced for shipment before they are loaded on the van. Upon request and for an additional charge, a moving company will perform this service, using either its own qualified personnel or an authorized service company.

Can I pack my china, glass and crystal?

Most people prefer to have their household possessions, especially fragile items, professionally packed by a moving company. However, if you decide to pack these items yourself, remember that the basic principles of good packing include wrapping the items individually, providing plenty of cushioning and making sure of a firm pack. Be sure to select a sturdy container with a lid. Place a two- or three-inch layer of crushed paper on the bottom of the carton as a cushion. Wrap each item individually with a soft material to provide a safe, protective, “padded nest.” Pack the heaviest items on the bottom and the lighter ones next, filling in empty spaces with crushed paper. Place plates on edge and glassware on rims for maximum protection. Mark the carton “Fragile,” and list the contents on the outside. Be sure to seal the carton with tape. Cartons, paper and tape may be purchased from your local Ewing/Steven agent for a small fee. Also, ask your agent for a copy of the free booklet “Doing Your Own Packing.”

Can I pack my clothes in a chest or dresser drawers?

Lightweight clothing – sweaters, shirts, blouses, and lingerie – may be left in the drawers. Do not fill drawers with heavy items such as books, table linens or sheets, which can damage the piece of furniture during transit. Be careful NOT to leave fragile items, money, jewelry, watches or other valuables in the drawers, as well as anything that might spill or leak.

Can I move my frozen foods?

Frozen foods can be moved, but only under specific, limited conditions. Be sure to discuss this with your Ewing/Steven agent. In most instances, we suggest that shipping arrangements be made through local frozen food locker plants, especially for a long-distance move. However, it is easier just to consume the foods, dispose, or donate them prior to the move.

Can I move jewelry and other valuables?

Items of extraordinary value such as jewelry, money, photographs, antiques and stamp collections can be included in your shipment, provided you notify your Ewing/Steven agent of these items before packing or moving day. However, we strongly recommend that you carry irreplaceable and expensive articles with you, or make other arrangements for their transport. In the moving industry, items worth more than $100 per pound are considered to be articles of “extraordinary” value. To be assured that a claim involving these articles is not limited to minimal liability, complete and sign the High-Value Inventory form and sign the “Extraordinary (Unusual) Value Article Declaration” box on the Bill of Lading. If no articles of extraordinary value are included in your shipment, simply write “none” on the High-Value Inventory form and sign it.

Can I move my house plants?

Ewing Moving Service, Inc. cannot accept responsibility for safely moving your plants, because they may suffer from a lack of water and light as well as probable temperature changes while in the van. You may prefer to transport your house plants in the family car or ship them by plane. Some states prohibit the entry of all plants, other states will admit plants under certain conditions, and some have no plant regulations at all. Be sure to check the regulations of the state to which you’re moving. Ask your Ewing/Steven agent for a copy of the booklet “Moving With House Plants.”

Can I move my pet?

Pets cannot be carried on the moving van. Dogs, cats, canaries and parakeets can usually be transported in the family car. If this isn’t convenient, your Ewing/Steven will be glad to suggest alternate ways to ship your pets safely. Ask for a copy of the helpful Ewing/Steven booklet “Moving With Pets.”


Does this contract cover laboratory/clinical equipment moves?

Yes, this contract cover any laboratory or clinical equipment needed to be moved in relationship to the relocation o a new employee.  Ewing Moving Service is fully equipped to accommodate the needed of any unusual or special requirements necessary for the transport of specialized equipment. All moves for laboratory/clinical equipment require prior approval from the respective hiring department.

How do I contact the Supplier for an estimate?

There are multiple ways to contact the supplier for an estimate on a new move. The preferred choice is via Vanderbilt’s procurement website to Ewing Moving Service online customer service center. Contact will also be made directly to the supplier via phone, email or fax.

Is this a mandatory contract?

Although this program is not mandatory, Ewing Moving Service was awarded a formal contract for all of Vanderbilt University.  Procurement conducted a comprehensive proposal evaluation involving many major suppliers and selected Ewing for their superior customer service programs, competitive costs and quality systems, etc.  We negotiated an exceptionally competitive discount and additional value-added services. In the event of a problem with your move, our contractual relationship provided all parties with additional coverage.

Who coordinates the moves at the Supplier?

Yolanda Patino is our customer service representative assigned exclusively to Vanderbilt. Call 1-800-533-2315 or (901) 774-2197 extension 6372 or ypatino@ewingmovingservice.com

Who coordinates the program at Vanderbilt?

Andrew Goodman is the purchasing agent assigned as the liaison for move services.  He manages the supplier relationships and advises Vanderbilt departments and transferees about the program.  Contact him at (615) 322.2332 or email andrew.goodman@vanderbilt.edu.